[Dailydave] Hacking like it's 1998

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 05:08:17 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Alex McGeorge <alexm at immunityinc.com> wrote:
> Our friends at D2 Security* have released a really nice Linux binary to
> help you do exactly that. The operation is pretty simple, you invoke
> this program with an argument of the program you want to intercept TTY
> input/output from and the D2 module conveniently places that data in a
> file for you to review later. This leads to mischief like: alias
> ssh='/dev/shm/d2sec_ttymitm /usr/bin/ssh' which is pretty fun! So fun in
> fact we made a movie about it which you can view here:
> http://partners.immunityinc.com/movies/D2Sec-TTYMITM.mov

In the video, you claim the module requires root to work. Last time I
checked (maybe 1998), LD_PRELOAD could hook any user application
without such privileges. So how is LD_PRELOAD not superior? ;)

> In case you're concerned that this is purely a marketing effort on our
> part, if you watch the video all the way to the end you will actually
> learn a skill your parents probably forgot to teach you. Here's a hint:
> it's not at all related to IT.

Always wanted to learn how to fold a fitted sheet!
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
https://profiles.google.com/kristian.hermansen