[Dailydave] Al Qassam and videos on youtube

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed Dec 12 15:16:33 EST 2012

So the question is: Can internet hacktivism cause a nation state to
kindly ask Google to remove a video that Muslims hate, the same way
Google removes known terrorist videos or videos of your baby dancing to
Britney Spears tunes under copyright reasoning.

So far the answer is "no". But the Al Qassam team
<http://pastebin.com/u/QassamCyberFighters> (or as Leiberman likes to
say: Team Iran) is going to try. It's a good proof of concept. The next
test is: "Can a cyber threat to America's banking industry force the US
to remove sanctions against Iranian banks?", which is probably why
nobody has blinked on the whole video on YouTube thing.

Of course, the Al Qassam team says they are not Iranian, etc. But their
choice of targets, methodology of proportional response
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMVtP1CbOM> (a very nation state
concept), hatred of the "Zionists", and high quality PR-grade English
would indicate that they are. Also, Leiberman says they are, and he,
unlike me, gets briefed by DIRNSA.

The trick really is that the next step up from DDoS is "Saudi
Aramco"-style rming of an entire bank. But that's a step the Iranians
(and dudes, correct me if I'm wrong :>) don't really want to take. If we
do see that happen, my guess is that we'll see it against a very small
bank initially, as a proof of concept. Then the scary times start.

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach