[Dailydave] Al Qassam and videos on youtube

Kyle Maxwell krmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 20:29:28 EST 2012

Comments inline below.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Dave Aitel <dave at immunityinc.com> wrote:

>  Of course, the Al Qassam team says they are not Iranian, etc. But their
> choice of targets, methodology of proportional response<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMVtP1CbOM>(a very nation state concept), hatred of the "Zionists", and high quality
> PR-grade English would indicate that they are. Also, Leiberman says they
> are, and he, unlike me, gets briefed by DIRNSA.

Given that Senator Lieberman is (tautologically) a politician, the fact
that he receives those briefings does not necessarily imply that his public
statements are at all factual (much less that the IC has reached the
correct conclusion). I'm also not sure that their blog and Pastebin use
high-quality PR-grade English, although it might make things easier on some
of us if they did.

> The trick really is that the next step up from DDoS is "Saudi
> Aramco"-style rming of an entire bank. But that's a step the Iranians (and
> dudes, correct me if I'm wrong :>) don't really want to take. If we do see
> that happen, my guess is that we'll see it against a very small bank
> initially, as a proof of concept. Then the scary times start.

The next step up from a DDOS isn't "rm -rf /all/your/base" - there are a
number of intermediate steps that can be taken short of that, should QCF
(or, well, anybody) decide to escalate. As Arrigo points out, there are
interesting data dumps that can happen. Wikileaks has shown how big of a
deal the .gov/.mil people can make from those sorts of disclosures (and
.com too, to be fair).

Also, obligatory relevant XKCD (there's ALWAYS a relevant XKCD):
http://xkcd.com/932/

--
Kyle Maxwell [krmaxwell at gmail.com]
http://www.xwell.org