[Dailydave] Symantec AV source compromised and the questions it raises

Michal Zalewski lcamtuf at coredump.cx
Fri Jan 6 23:06:46 EST 2012

This reminds me of the wise words of the chairman of Trend Micro:

"Android is open-source, which means the hacker can also understand
the underlying architecture and source code. We have to give credit to
Apple, because they are very careful about it. It's impossible for
certain types of viruses to operate on the iPhone."

Shortly thereafter, Kaspersky "joined" the open source community, and
now looks like Symantec will, too. Which leaves us only with Trend
Micro for true security.

/mz