[Dailydave] Weev's collateral damage.

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed Nov 21 12:05:10 EST 2012

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/11/att-hacker-found-guilty/

So I'm no fan of Weev aka Andrew Auernheimer. The man is seriously
disturbed and it's odd to see people support him
<https://twitter.com/maradydd/status/271067146145107968> on Twitter.
Just as an example, here's some bizarre rape porn I'm fairly sure he and
his friends posted about my wife on full disclosure (and to DD before it
was moderated - in fact, Weev is the reason moderation is on this list
at all):
http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2006-March/043638.html .
Here's a post about him torturing some kid "for the lulz":
http://crimint.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/deutschland-deutschland-uber-alles-encyclopc3a6dia-dramatica-forums_1294380601283-chrome.png

I think it's fair to say the likelihood of Weev having done something
that deserves some level of criminal liability is pretty high. That
said, this is not it. Keep in mind the data Weev collected was email
addresses and names. Nothing sensitive in the slightest. Everything they
collected was essentially sent in cleartext over the Internet at some point.

It's obvious to anyone with any technical background that the case the
FBI brought against him is a travesty, and the fact that they won is
even more insane. It's this sort of thing that makes it obvious the DHS
doesn't understand the Internet, and shouldn't be given more control
over it, which is what John McCain has been saying for the last year or
so. Cases like this make everyone look bad - and if they manage to make
it stick, the collateral damage is all of us.

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach