[Dailydave] Weev's collateral damage.

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:44:05 EST 2012

On Nov 21, 2012 9:08 AM, "Dave Aitel" <dave at immunityinc.com> wrote:
> It's obvious to anyone with any technical background that the case the
FBI brought against him is a travesty, and the fact that they won is even
more insane. It's this sort of thing that makes it obvious the DHS doesn't
understand the Internet, and shouldn't be given more control over

I agree generally, but the evidence is pretty clear:

"Auernheimer admitted conducting the breach to tarnish AT&T’s reputation"

This seems preconceived and an attempt to defame ATT. Those two facts alone
seem to constitute enough for legal action following the script probes, but
I am also not a lawyer. ATT doesn't seem to have a get out of jail free
card for security folk testing for weaknesses. All combined, you go to jail
when someone snitches on you.

I also had words with weev five years ago. He is definitely a troll to
anyone that knows him, so the story hits home. He has done much worse than
what this breach brought to light, as you point out.

I am also still troubled by the outcome of course because the "hack" is
really just twiddling some integers (direct object reference), which works
on 99% of websites today to "breach" private data. I would bet lots of
people on this lost have probably done the same and are not in jail. Then
again, we probably didn't chat about it for hours and attempt to defame a
corporation. We are mostly white hats here right? Maybe only a slight tint
of gray? ;)

Happy thanksgiving!