[Dailydave] The Huawei Paper

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Tue Oct 9 11:43:58 EDT 2012

I have this section in the Ottawa keynote called "Profiles in Courage",
and one of the people in it is Huawei Global Security Officer John
Suffolk. Justin Seitz goes into some of the issues around Huawei's
evisceration this week in the blog post here:
http://cybersecpolitics.blogspot.com/2012/10/embedded-hacking.html . But
at some point soon, I think we'll see a bit of an exodus of western
executive talent from Huawei. Because the report is damning. Basically
it says "No way are we letting Huawei or ZTE have any part of the market
in the States. They operate as a branch of the Chinese government."

I think Huawei's own prebuttal
<http://www.huawei.com/ilink/en/download/HW_187368> confuses the issue
with supply chain issues, which are, as they point out, a moot point
when everyone builds their equipment in China. To quote John Suffolk:

    /The world has probably lost more confidential records than there
    are people on the planet, and it is easy to get the //impression
    that there are more breaches of security each year than there are
    drops of rain in a storm.
    /

Ok, I admit, I don't think John Suffolk himself wrote that document. But
regardless, his name is on it, and right now, the US Government has come
out saying "Huawei is one big trojan horse" and he's either a working
part of it, or completely ignorant of what his company is doing. Neither
is what someone is going to want on their Linked-In profile
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-suffolk/0/b72/b21?trk=pub-pbmap>. :>

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach