[Dailydave] On scoops, and .... stuff.

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Sat Oct 13 08:35:32 EDT 2012

 > The point is that it could have been a lot worse for
 > Saudi Aramco. It could have been a total loss, and
 > everyone on every side knows it.

Yes.

The snarky response of much of the Digerati to
Panetta's trundling out of "Cyber Pearl Harbor"
and other near-cliches is unhelpful if Panetta's
remarks are based not on armchair risk assessment
but rather on the results of experiments that will
not be reported.  If true, then events like the
Aramco event provide a chance to use a non-secret
body of information to hint at bodies of information
for which the non-secret event is, effectively, a
public confirmation of what can otherwise only be
hinted at.

Thus I am sure that you, too, eagerly await the
mandated universality of electronic health records