[Dailydave] On scoops, and .... stuff.

Richard Thieme rthieme at thiemeworks.com
Mon Oct 15 12:41:14 EDT 2012

I am seconding Mister Geer's remarks as people who deeply understand our
vulnerabilities may not like the "Pearl Haror" metaphor but do
appreciate the threat and the seriousness it represents to our
infrastructure. There are serious threats from bio and cyber alike and
they are not trivial. The actualization of the threat is contingent on
political, military and economic contextual factors, not the offhand
dismissal of a term with a smirk.

Asked what keeps me awake at night at a recent conference, I could only
say that a technologist at the CIA told me he can't sleep, reading the
intercepts, and appreciating what people are in fact attempting to do.
Trying to stay one step ahead of those plans is why all means are used
to understand various enemies and therefore it is irrelevant which party
or president is shown the daily briefing, his/her response will always
be, do whatever you can to prevent this. We live in a world without
walls, and this means: do whatever is necessary. What-EVER is necessary.

As a sound thinker added: we may have to destroy freedom in order to
save it. (we have always taken that road perhaps but in digital worlds,
we are taking that road, squared).

Group-think is not helpful for analysis regardless of the group in which
it occurs. And what is really wrong with the Pearl Harbor metaphor is
that Pearl Harbor refers only to a sneak attack on Hawaii. That span of
ocean no longer protects any country. And MAD works only with actors
equally "rational" as to upsides and downsides.