[Dailydave] Catch22's in Vulnerability Management

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed Feb 6 14:03:52 EST 2013

I love both our Qualys and Tenable friends, but I have to say, I worry
about "authenticated scans". Perhaps my worry is unwarranted, but having
a domain admin that is connecting to and trying to authenticate to every
host on the network seems like a very bad idea.

For example:

  * What if you do a NTLM proxy attack?
  * What if you downgrade your accepted protocols to NTLMv1 and then
    crack the hash and now are domain admin for free?
  * What if there is some vulnerability in the web apps or host box that
    supports these programs?
  * When Qualys, for example, logs into MS SQL, and I have MITM on that
    network, why can't I just take over the connection and be admin from
    then on?

https://community.qualys.com/docs/DOC-4095
http://static.tenable.com/documentation/nessus_credential_checks.pdf

If these attacks work, it's a bit of a catch22. In order to achieve
compliance, you must be out of compliance!

I assume people are using authenticated scans, because without it,
you're generally getting lots of false positives to weed through, which
is annoying (and for which we sell CANVAS plugins :>).

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach