[Dailydave] So...

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Sun Feb 24 22:42:03 EST 2013

So someday they'll figure out that Factor V Leiden
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_V_Leiden> (which enhances blood
clotting, not always in a good way)  is a built-in defense against
mosquitoes. And people who have it both react a lot less strongly to
mosquitoes and are less appetizing to them. As far as I can tell there's
no studies on this yet, but since there's (surprisingly) an large
overlap between mosquito scientists and hackers and a number of them are
on this list, feel free to do one and get back to us! :>

The mosquitoes that inhabit South Florida are as pumped up as our local
Crunch inhabitants. There's at least four species in my living room at
any one moment. I don't happen to have Factor V Leiden, so when I lose a
round against them I blow up like a wood tick. Each and every one of
those species in my living room has a fairly different behavior, but
they're all faster, more aggressive, and fly a more complex evasion
pattern than any of those slowpoke Asian or North American varieties.

Here's some other stuff I've been forced to learn about mosquitoes:

  * They like lots of different foods. In the wild they used to eat only
    plants, I'm sure, but they've adapted to humans and they're
    attracted to certain leftovers like normal flies.
  * Mosquitoes have extra loud wings for a reason. It's to wake you up.
    If you don't wake up when they buzz in your ear, they know you're
    safe to bite. Of course, only the ones that bite you in certain
    places do this.
  * When a mosquito is eating you while you sleep, the only sane thing
    to do is turn the light on, look above you and it will immediately
    fly to the ceiling and land on whatever surface is most dark and
    complex.
  * Only a non-Floridan tries to clap a Florida mosquito in mid flight.
    The correct method is to snatch them with one hand. Like the
    Iranians do with an RQ. :>

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach