[Dailydave] RSA

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Sun Feb 24 23:51:54 EST 2013

How to be offensive without being offensive. There's no class in this,
and I have to say that I'm not that great at it and maybe never will be.

I spent all last week with my grandfather who's 92, and lived through
WWII. I'd say "fought in WWII", since he was in the Air Force and really
wanted to be, of all things, a navigator, but the way he puts it is that
the best place to be in a world war is "far away from it". There's a lot
of parts of him now that are the not the same, but the engineer in him
is stronger than ever, weirdly emphasized by a long time away, seeing
details of the environment - every bolt in the pavement in high relief.

He lives on a big block of land in Herndon, which now has CACI and
Mantech buildings roaming the land that used to be pig farms like a herd
of brachiosaruses. None of that impresses him - not the inch thick
stacks of badges at Red Hot and Blue, and not the magic technology, each
gadget more shiny than the last. Part of that is because 92 year olds
are hard to impress, and part of that is because he worked at RCA fifty
years back building machines under an SAP with vacuum tubes in the
building that became the NSA.

That said, twice now I've been told off in Herndon restaurants for
cursing too loudly during dinner. Everyone in these restaurants whispers
to each other all night. I can just imagine the amazingly boring sex
they have after dates like that.

And as part of the plan of "not being embarrassingly bad at
man-wrestling during INFILTRATE-BJJ" this year, I paid the mat fee and
trained at Fairfax JJ, just a short drive from where I grew up. In
between choking me out the asberger's kid pointed out that I was too
tentative. Some part of me just wanted to avoid that particular war, I
guess.

So to sum up, it's been a weird week. Next week is RSA, and Tuesday and
Wednesday in the Expo Gateway from 12-1 I'm going to be doing my best to
avoid cursing or being offensive in any way while at the exact same
time, trying not to be too tentative. Frankly, those of you who know me,
or who have ever eaten dinner in a restaurant near me, know I'm going to
err on the side of offensive. So come by and heckle if you're there!

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach