[Dailydave] Today's thoughts on talks at conferences

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed Jan 23 15:35:16 EST 2013

So, sometimes we don't accept a talk for INFILTRATE
<http://www.infiltratecon.org>, but then the person turns out to have
done some really interesting work that "wouldn't sell" at a normal
conference. I.E. a bit darker, maybe a bit weirder. Also, it turns out
that people who do interesting work tend to do them as part of teams -
the formula of "one person, one hour, one talk" is a bit outdated, imho.
Thomas Lim's keynote last year had some things in it about conferences,
and how they need to change. I think that's one of the things that will
change.

I mean, think of the last project you did that actually made a
difference - was it just you? IRC wouldn't exist if that was how the
world worked.

In any case, I find the Call for Paper's process quite fun. And I think
we're getting close to finalizing the speakers - and I do  want to
remind everyone who's coming (which should be everyone on this list! :>)
that we're almost out of the rooms at the group rate. Being actually IN
the conference hotel is much better than being elsewhere. I.E. if you
get drunk, we can carry you to the room, and you'll be able to get up
early and get into the conference's keynotes without trying to find a
cab or walking around lost in the Miami sun for a while first.

So to sum up: Please reserve your hotel rooms now, and don't make us
have to negotiate with the hotel to try to get you the discount after
the fact! If you are from far away and you need our admin team to help
make reservations, ask questions, reserve baby equipment or anything
like that, just let us know.  "We aim to please!" as Christian Grey
would say.

Thanks!
-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach