[Dailydave] The Pentagon Staffs up

Irby Thompson irby at sliphead.com
Mon Jan 28 15:24:01 EST 2013

It seems to me the Pentagon should consider following a USSOCOM/JSOC model towards Cyber. For example, instead of trying to 'be more effective' by just growing the number of Cyber Command billets, focus instead on creating and deploying small teams of cyber operators who work together on specific offensive or defensive missions.  In my opinion nation-state level cyber is (and will remain) a specialty domain due to it’s extreme technical nature across a breadth of disciplines. To be truly effective (in either offense or defense) you need small, cohesive teams who offensively and defensively simultaneously, and up and down the stack. Once the mission is achieved, these tiger teams move on to the next mission, and the Command backfills with (easier-to-hire) technical staff to hold down the fort.

	-irby