[Dailydave] Alright you peddlers of cyberdoom - time to do something nice for a change

Steve steve at 44con.com
Sun Jun 2 17:48:29 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I don't know if you've seen what's been happening in Turkey, but it's
pretty bad and will get worse. There's not much I can do, but I thought
I'd try to do my bit and built this: http://lahana.dreamcats.org/.

Lahana is an auto-build script designed for the EC2 free tier. Basically
you create an instance, upload the script, run it and you have an IPSEC
PSK VPN that sends all output tunnelled over Tor. Think of it as a cloud
version of PORTAL but not as good

It's not meant to be secure from interception, it's more to do with
making the barrier to entry to Tor as low as possible. It takes about 5
minutes to set up and not much more to set up a client. The reason for
using PSK is so you can write down the details on a bit of paper and
share them in a crowd.

It's not without it's flaws - I'm still trying to document them all! If
anyone wants to help, I need connectivity guides for Windows XP, Windows
7 and Android, translations into other languages and the word out.

If you have accounts, upvotes/discussion in any of these would be helpful:

* https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5810091
*
http://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/1fjfbb/lahana_a_vpn_to_torinternet_bridge_autobuild/

If you want to try it out without setting up a node, try these settings:

Username: bob
Password: bob
Secret: whoop
Hostname: ec2-50-19-10-247.compute-1.amazonaws.com

The iOS setup guide is here: http://lahana.dreamcats.org/ios-howto/ -
working on the others this evening but if anyone can help that'd be awesome.

--
Co-Founder, 44Con
Twitter: @stevelord