[Dailydave] The Neutron Star

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Thu Jun 27 16:21:37 EDT 2013

To paraphrase the Economist article you link to, which I think says it
all (below) "No."

I'm not an expert on this particular case, but I'm able to read, and
what I read below does not match people's insistence on constantly
bringing it up as an example of US Economic Espionage.  jf at ownco.net
says it better in this thread than I can, but apparently people need to
hear it over and over again for some reason.

-dave

_________________________________

"""
According to a European Parliament report, published in 2001, America's
National Security Agency (NSA) intercepted faxes and phone calls between
Airbus, Saudi Arabian Airlines and the Saudi government in early 1994.
The NSA found that Airbus agents were offering bribes to a Saudi
official to secure a lion's share for Airbus in modernising Saudi
Arabian Airlines' fleet. The planes were in a $6 billion deal that
Edouard Balladur, France's then prime minister, had hoped to clinch on a
visit to see King Fahd in January 1994. He went home empty-handed.

James Woolsey, then director of the Central Intelligence Agency,
recounted in a newspaper article in 2000 how the American government
typically reacted to intelligence of this sort. “When we have caught you
[Europeans]...we go to the government you're bribing and tell its
officials that we don't take kindly to such corruption,” he wrote.
Apparently this (and a direct sales pitch from Bill Clinton to King
Fahd) swung the aircraft part of the deal Boeing's and McDonnell
Douglas's way.
"""