[Dailydave] The underlying structure is foamy

Eric pty.err at gmail.com
Tue May 28 20:08:14 EDT 2013

Something a lot of people don’t get about the internet is that it’s more of
a policy artifact than a technology artifact.

The reason we got the internet we have, and not whatever the incumbent
telco industry was working on 30 years ago, isn't because the organizers
picked the better suite of crufty network protocols.  It’s because they
adopted, championed, and defended a crucial set of policy principles, e.g.
end-to-end (i.e. “the stupid network”), open standards, open access, etc.

If you think of the internet mainly as a bunch of packet switching devices,
it's easy to quibble with the naval metaphor: “Container ships are
expensive, packets are cheap.”  “Network latency is measured in
milliseconds, not nautical miles.”  Etc.

But seen through the internet-as-policy lens, the naval metaphor makes a
lot of sense: the legal jurisdiction of the playing field is
international.  Law enforcement is mostly absent.  Commercial operations
are basically on their own.  Bandits can attack with impunity, for the most
part.  Etc.

At least in maritime scenarios 500 years ago, a private operator had the
benefit of long-established and generally agreed-upon doctrines of
self-defense and self-help.  Not so
much<http://www.steptoecyberblog.com/2012/11/02/the-hackback-debate/>in
cyber.

My first point being that in this particular policy discussion, it helps to
recognize the internet as a figment of policy more than anything else.  And
my second point being, modern cyber law doctrine isn’t even to the level
that maritime was 500 years ago.  Folks are starting to recognize this, and
we're seeing signs that we're on the cusp of a major push to bring it up to
date, one way or another.