[Dailydave] CFP for SyScan'14

Thomas Lim thomas at coseinc.com
Thu Sep 5 10:55:23 EDT 2013

Dear Readers of DailyDave

*ABOUT SYSCAN'14 Singapore*

Date: 31 March - 4 April 2014.

Venue: Swissotel Merchant Court Hotel

So, I have decided to have SyScan'14. The odds are against SyScan'14 (you will find out why soon) but I'm going ahead with it. We are going to roll out a very different format to make the conference more interesting and fun for both the
attendees and the speakers.

Our experience tells us that many of you have very good materials for your talks but they do not last 1 hour. Well we are not going to impose this constraint on you. We will offer you 3 choices -- 30 minutes, 45 minutes and 1 hour. We want
speakers to get to the point and talk about the important things about their research. Besides the standard presentations, we will be having a *FAILCON* segment within SyScan'14. We want to have speakers presenting about their epic failure in
security (research, pentest etc). We like you to share your failures so that we can all learn from your mistakes. We are also going to have a *Long-Lightning-Talks* segment. Speakers in this segment will be given 15 minutes. Finally, we will
have the *WhiskeyCon*. Anyone attending SyScan'14 can go on stage and present anything related to security (NO PRODUCT PIMPING!). The amount of time you have will be based on the number of shots of whiskey that you drink before the
talk. Every 2 shots of whiskey get you 5 minutes.

Finally, all speakers, except those from WhiskeyCon, will get to take part in the BEST SPEAKER CONTEST. The winner of this contest will walk away with 1000 Singapore Dollars.

Unless we or anyone have a better idea, we will continue with SHACK at PATTAYA for SyScan'14 Singapore. We promise more alcohol and more jaw-dropping entertainment.

As for training classes, we intend to be different from other conferences too. In SyScan'14, we will be offering trainers a profit sharing ratio of 60:40. We believe the trainers deserve the bigger share of the profit as they are doing most of the work.
So if you have a good training program, we like you to have a class in SyScan'14.

*TOPICS AND AREAS OF INTEREST (TALKS)*

#SECURITY

*SELECTION COMMITTEE*

The Selection Committee for SyScan'14 comprises of the following personnel:

 1.  Thomas Lim - Organiser of SyScan and CEO of COSEINC

 2.  Dave Aitel - Founder and CEO of Immunitysec

 3.  Halvar Flake -- Founder of Zynamics (sold to Google)

 4.  Researchers of COSEINC

The Selection Committee will review all submissions and determine the final list of speakers for SyScan'14.

*SELECTION CRITERIA*

Your submission will be judged by your ability to communicate succinctly in writing, how good we think the talk sounds, what other people say about you behind your back and whether, frankly, we feel like people are going to be happy they
paid money to see you yap for an hour.

*SPEAKERS' PRIVILEGES*

*Speakers (including FAILCON Speakers)* will be entitled to the following privileges:

 *   Reimbursement of air-ticket for one person up to a maximum amount of SGD1000.

 *   3 nights of accommodation.

 *   Breakfast, lunch and dinner during conference.

 *   After-conference party SHACK at Pattaya.

 *   A very healthy dose of alcohol and fun.

 *   Speaker's Honorarium of SGD2000 if your presentation is *BRAND NEW*.

*Long-Lightning Talk Speakers *will be entitled to the following privileges:

 *   3 nights of accommodation.

 *   Breakfast, lunch and dinner during conference.

 *   After-conference party SHACK at Pattaya.

 *   A very healthy dose of alcohol and fun.

 *   Speaker's Honorarium of SGD1000 if your presentation is *BRAND NEW*.

*CFP SUBMISSION*

All submissions must be in English and in PDF format only. The following information must be included.

Section A - Personal Data:

 1.  Name:

 2.  Handle/Alias:

 3.  Email Address:

 4.  Cell phone:

 5.  Company:

 6.  Brief biography:

 7.  Photo:

Section B - Presentation Data:

 1.  Title of presentation:

 2.  Category of Presentation: Standard/FailCon/Long-Lightning-Talk.

 3.  Time Required for Presentation: 30/45/60 minutes.

 4.  Newness of Material:

 5.  Availability of Demo:

 6.  Summary of Presentation:

*TOPICS AND AREAS OF INTEREST (TRAINING)*

#SECURITY

*TRAINERS' PRIVILEGES*

Trainers of SyScan'14 Singapore will be entitled to the following
privileges:
. 60% of net profit of the class conducted.
. Access to SyScan'14 Singapore conference.

. After-conference party. SHACK at PATTAYA not included.
. A very healthy dose of alcohol and fun.

Please note that the net profit for each class is determined by the
difference between the total fee collected for each class and the total
expenses incurred for each class. The expenses of each class would
include the return economy air-ticket of the trainer, 3 nights of
accommodation (training), the rental of the training venue and training
equipment and training material.

*CFT Submission*

All submissions must be in English and in PDF format only. The following
information must be included.

Section A -- Personal Data:

 1. Name:
 2. Handler/Alias:
 3. Email Address:
 4. Cell phone:
 5. Company:
 6. Brief biography:
 7. Photo:

Section B -- Training Class Data

 1. Title of Training Class:
 2. Brief Description of Training Class:
 3. Pre-requisite of Training Class:

     1. Student.
     2. Hardware.
     3. Software.

 4. Daily Class Outline:

Please note that all classes will start at 0900 hours and end at 1700 hour.

Please send all submission to cfp2014 at syscan.org <mailto:cfp2014 at syscan.org>.

*IMPORTANT DATES*

CFP Closing Date - 15 December 2013

Announcement of Speakers' List - 31st December 2013

Announcement of Training Classes -- 10th January 2014

Notification of Acceptance by selected Speakers - 15 January 2014

Notification of Flight details by selected Speakers - 30 January 2014

Submission of Presentation Material and Technical White Paper by selected Speakers -- 28 February 2014

*OTHER INFORMATION*

Please feel free to visit SyScan website to get a feel what this conference is all about - LEARN AND HAVE FUN!

By agreeing to speak at the SyScan'14 you are granting Syscan Pte. Ltd. the rights to reproduce, distribute, advertise and show your presentation including but not limited to http://www.syscan.org, printed and/or electronic advertisements,
and all other mediums.

--
Thank you
Thomas Lim