[Dailydave] Top10 Blowing Chunks :>

Wolfgang Kandek wkandek at qualys.com
Wed Sep 18 18:10:37 EDT 2013

Dan, I agree. If you have the technical skill you can select and maintain
any platform that is a less likely target of mainstream attackers, as long
as in still attends to your business needs. On the Microsoft side that
would be Windows 2000 I believe, maybe in 2 years Windows XP.

On the other hand, if you have that technical capability you could evaluate
running on another OS altogether, be it Mac OS X, Chromebooks or Linux.
Actually I do not understand why large organizations (governments) do not
have their own version of an operating system. How many people can it take
to audit and maintain a version of Linux, for example? The only effort I
know of along these lines is/was in Brazil.

For normal IT organizations I think is technically and commercially easier
to support the business and increase security by being on the latest
versions of OS and applications. Then use any remaining technical resources
to introduce variations (EMET, additional sandboxing) and invest into early
detection.

-
Wolfgang