[Dailydave] INNUENDO DNS CHANNEL Video

Ron Gula rgula at tenable.com
Tue Dec 23 08:47:39 EST 2014

On December 22, 2014 at 5:37:25 PM, Dave Aitel (dave at immunityinc.com<mailto:dave at immunityinc.com>) wrote:
Click here to view it: https://vimeo.com/115206626

It is hard to get out of a modern corporate network without a DNS
channel. The simplistic benefit of INNUENDO's DNS channel over other
random things like DNSCat is that you get encryption, redundancy, and
ordering, all as part of the package. And we built in a burst-speed
controller as part of the protocol (which I go over a bit in the movie).
There's only one public paper I can see with realistic throughput
numbers on DNS channels like this (although I distinctly remember
Kaminsky playing video over DNS in one of his talks?), and it claims
~1KB/s. With INNUENDO if you push the gauge up you can get 4KB/s, even
with our additional signaling overhead. By default we stick to 1KB/s to
avoid swamping intermediary DNS servers.

In real-world terms: A screenshot is going to take you 33 seconds.
Ideally you don't use your DNS channel as a massive exfil channel, but
simply as a way to find a better path out of the network.

As always, if you're interested in buying or evaluating INNUENDO please
email admin at immunityinc.com

Thanks,
Dave Aitel
Immunity, Inc.

This sort of testing is something everyone should have on their TODO list.
Set up some sort of DNS tunnel for SSH, file exfiltration, remote desktop, .etc
and see what shows up in your SIM, your NBAD, .etc. and see how your
staff reacts to it.

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security