[Dailydave] C2

Dominique Brezinski dominique.brezinski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 12:59:23 EST 2014

SO true Dave. The defender's dilemma is not that they have to protect
everything as you note. The dilemma is choosing the instrumentation that as
syntactically as simple as possible while being semantically rich enough to
indicate (I intentionally do not use the word describe) a majority, if not
all, meaningful attack activity in the environment. An old friend taught me
that, which he learned from his advisor. That is your just enough data
notion. Having worked with many of the big data tools out there, while
focusing on security analysis and detection, I completely agree with you.
There are just a couple of sources of data -- themselves observation points
-- that when threaded together give a defender all the insight they need to
thwart attackers. Sadly, this fact is not leveraged by a majority of
defenders, nor is it productized meaningfully in any way.

Dom