[Dailydave] Late Friday thoughts on the Kevin Mandia RSAC keynote.

Moses Hernandez moses at moses.io
Sun Mar 23 11:24:03 EDT 2014

Dave,
  Quick Q: You referring to this particular statement (I paused it):

Highlights - Technical
- In over 97% of the 2,672 separate APT1 intrusions Mandiant observed (into 141 companies), APT1 used IP addresses registered in Shanghai.

So that statement tells me that those are just the APT1 intrusions not all of the Mandiant referenced intrusions. APT1 itself is said to use IP addresses registered in Shanghai. Is that by itself clever misdirection? Maybe. Are there other ‘APT’ style groups that go undetected from various nations? I remember a talk (maybe from Nico Waisman) about badly written exploits leading to discovery of intrusions. If that theory is to be held true, then does that account for exploit quality in looking at developed vs emerging markets?

As for NextGen firewalls themselves, full disclosure I work for Cisco who makes NGFW products, and I find that many of my customers are implementing them because they have none the political willpower or the technical ability to implement sufficient egress filtering. You could get 90% of the functionality with a Web Proxy that has applicationID built in. Although you can add a bit more context to IPS with Open AppID which is what Sourcefire and is now open sourced here: http://blog.snort.org/2014/03/firing-up-openappid.html . But your right, AppID or not people and organizations will be the ones that ultimately drive a ‘better’ answer to the issue. This year I’ll be giving more ‘community’ focused talks on Security and this conceptual ideal of 'DevOps'. In those talks, I hope to espouse some better thought practices, attack and defend wise (AttackOps and DefendOps?), maybe the attackers and the defenders don’t have asymmetric warfare, but the way we culturally have built our companies infrastructures from a people point of view has done that.

As for ‘is monitoring expensive’. I think today telemetry in most networks doesn’t exist, and the tools that do exist are markedly expensive. Over time those trends will more downward. I look at Flume + Hadoop (or any distributed key/value database like Riak …), Logly, and other ‘data’ tools that the startup community has started to bring forward to get a better grasp over web application analytics we should look and embrace those. Maybe its just like I put in a slide: Go to school - pick up some new skillZ.

Till then
-M
@mosesrenegade