[Dailydave] Sabu

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed May 28 14:45:05 EDT 2014

I think it's time for all Americans to realize that we have an addiction
that is harming us. And that addiction is to prisons. Our judicial
system locks people up for years, literally starving them, in hellholes
that don't in any way represent what a first would country should offer
its most needy citizens.  In a world where everyone is connected to
everyone else 24/7, we deliberately restrict communications between
prisoners and their families to a meaningless trickle. And it's not just
the drug war that has non-violent offenders locked for decades in
American prisons - we do this to our kids too, sometimes because a judge
is getting paid to by our corrupt privatized prison systems
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal>, and sometimes
because we don't have the ability to think beyond punishment. It is,
quite simply, a "corrective" system gone insane.

And so when I see Sabu get off with time served I don't think it weird
or dishonorable that he folded under pressure. Maybe he was a slightly
better father than he was a hacker? I don't know. What I know is that
wishing anyone enters the prison system, the way it is now, is beyond me.

-dave