[Dailydave] Ekoparty 2014

Thomas Lim thomas at coseinc.com
Mon Oct 27 23:30:35 EDT 2014

i do not know if my post will see daylight as Dave has not been posting
my reply to DD for a while ;)

Nico is spot on. Back in 2012 when i keynoted at Infiltrate, that was
the main message that i sent out. there is a gut of security conferences
and not enough good talks to go around. i can understand why people want
to organise a security con in their own cities. they do it for their
community. that's very admirable and should be supported. if someone
organise a con for their local community, i will do my best to support
it (if they ask for support).

small local security cons are awesome. sometime the talks may not be all
interesting but the atmosphere of the cons are wonderful. you can feel
the community spirit and the camaraderie. unlike some big bloodsucking
cons where you have to pay for everything, you feel cold and aloof, or
like some media-whoring cons where you are better-off gagging yourself
and be away from the spotlight unless you want to be misquoted
or....become famous.

i have been to Ekoparty twice and both times i enjoyed myself
tremendously. Buenos Aires is an awesome place and the people are very
friendly. there are also many talented people at the conference. its
very unfortunate that i cannot make it this year due to very personal
reason but do not cry for me Argentina......cos..i'll be back...hasta la
vista.

Thank you
Thomas Lim