[Dailydave] The monetization of information insecurity

Brad Spengler spender at grsecurity.net
Mon Sep 8 18:11:45 EDT 2014

Hi Dave,

How to avoid repeating the mistake of AV: this is a difficult problem.
I don't have much experience in defense, so if I were to ponder a
solution to this problem, I would look toward the paradigm-shifters in
the infosec industry.  Being an avid reader of Wired and other such
online magazines, my immediate thought was Google's Project Zero.

We've learned from the failure of AV that ex post facto detection
and remediation of single pieces of malware is a losing battle given
the ever increasing number of malware samples in the wild.  It seems
like for every malware detected, two more take its place.

That's why I really admire Project Zero's approach -- it took these
lessons to heart, producing a real game-changer.  They're focused
on ex post facto detection and remediation of single bugs, a highly
effective approach given the ever increasing number of bugs in the
software today.

What's really unique about Project Zero's approach though, is that
unlike AV, Project Zero pairs its work with copious quantities of
self-advertisement -- because when one's goal is making the world
a safer place, one needs to make sure everyone knows it.

We need to change course.  Let's resolve to put the monetary focus
of the industry to where it really belongs: bug bounties.  Let's
ensure fuzzers are employed for the next decade while we reap the
bountiful rewards of their endless trickle of bugs.  If we make
sure this strategy dominates, we can be sure we don't hamstring
the industry by focusing efforts on what produces real improvement.
We know bug bounties work because their associated monetary offerings
continue to increase -- the market has spoken.

If we take our cues from such visionaries, I think we can avoid the
parasitic growth of the infosec industry and break the chain of
strategies that haven't worked for their entire reign.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,
-Brad