[Dailydave] OT: Scorpion TV show on CBS -- Tonight -- See real hacking tools in Hollywood

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:55:42 EDT 2014

Moin Moin DD Listers,

Tonight on CBS the TV show 'Scorpion' premieres. I figured the list
might be interested in a TV show that is less CSI bogus "hacking"
sequences and actual _real_ exploit scenarios (as best as Hollywood
could stomach). The guy the show is based on, Walter O'Brien, actually
was involved in catching the Boston Marathon bombers, so the stories
are loosely based on that event and other terrorist cases he worked on
or were planned attacks. He's a good guy doing the grunt technical
computer science / artificial intelligence work behind the scenes :)

You might see: Immunity Silica, Kali / Backtrack, Linux, fierce.pl,
metasploit, netcat, etherape, Burp Suite, nmap, Shodan, aircrack, Tor,
Iceweasel, WebSecurify, and ~20 tools in total on the show! Most of
the scenes content was generated on Kali using real tools in simulated
environments. You can see a good close-up at 2m03s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU_hJscvdXU#t=2m3s

More details below on the show and Walter O'Brien:

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-origin-of-scorpion-the-real-world-story-behind-cbss-new-drama/

*** Disclaimer: I was an advisor / creator for many of the hacking
sequences you will see on the computer screens.

--
Regards,

Kristian Erik Hermansen
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kristianhermansen