[Dailydave] Junk Hacking Must Stop!

Andreas Lindh andreas.lindh at isecure.se
Tue Sep 23 04:19:46 EDT 2014

So after stirring up some shit on Twitter about this, I thought I¹d post
some thoughts about it here too.

While I agree that ³junk hacking² is in a lot of cases fairly pointless from
a security standpoint, it can still serve an educational (not to mention
entertaining) purpose. The problem starts when threat models are
exaggerated, as is often the case. I¹m guessing this has to do with hackers
assume that real world attackers are like them, when in fact they in most
cases are not. The most obvious difference being the objective; whereas a
hacker largely does things because it¹s fun, real attackers have monetary or
other reasons for what they do. This also means, as Dan Guido has pointed
out several times, that attackers are unlikely to work harder than they have
to, so while pwning a toaster to gain access to a dishwasher to gain access
to a tv to gain access to a home alarm may be technically doable, it is far
more likely that the attacker (or burglar in this case) will just go
somewhere that doesn¹t have an alarm.

Of course, we should not completely disregard ³junk hacking² either, a
refrigerator botnet is still a botnet etc., and there will very likely be a
number of extremely critical issues with the internet of crap. But let¹s at
least try to keep it on a somewhat realistic level.

Andreas