[Dailydave] Reminder: I attend painful meetings so you don't have to

Mara Tam marasawr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 12:44:18 EST 2015

Chris,

While I take your point, my experience is that the technical explanations for why regulatory and policy regimes may not be fit for purpose absolutely do matter.

The Wassenaar Arrangement in particular is a regime whose coherence and efficacy derive from technical precision. It has been necessary to demonstrate both the formal (technical) and functional (economic) failings of the 2013 Plenary Agreements over the past 7 months of concerted engagement on this issue. The dichotomy between technical and economic arguments is a false one. Both are required, but both need to be substantiated and made relevant to the process / objectives at hand.

To be blunt, ‘deep technical reasons’ are not often adequately contextualised such that their relevance is clear to government. That should not, however, be confused with ‘no one cares’. When technical analysis is presented such that its implications are clear, everyone cares. Sergey’s contribution to the most recent TAC meeting at Commerce attests to this fact.

-Mara