[Dailydave] Book Review: @war by Shane Harris

Richard Thieme rthieme at thiemeworks.com
Mon Jan 5 14:24:27 EST 2015

a brilliant review. The "People Magazine" template is increasingly
common, from Wired Magazine to a book on the history of drones which
always began chapters with "XY was cleanng his parasail on a warm day in
the Caribbean when ..." as if human interest in people who are not made
very human trumps what I wanted, the history of the evolution of drones.
But that would have been a long essay instead of the mandated 300-page
no more no less books that fit the shelves at Big Boxes just so. (did
you know that B&N told publishers that ficiton beyond 300 pp would not
be shelved unless it was by one of the Big Few?)