[Dailydave] "Technical Keynotes and Invited Talks"

Dave Aitel dave.aitel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:30:52 EDT 2015

https://vimeo.com/album/3416096/video/130242081

So last year the INFILTRATE OpenCFP process worked flawlessly. You don't
get different talks than you would have picked using some really complex
spreadsheet and voting system, like most conferences do, than by using an
OpenCFP and having the public choose what they want to see. And of course,
we don't even validate that the people voting are also coming to the
conference, but it doesn't really seem to matter. We do some minor cleanup
of the votes to avoid basic fraud, but other than that, it's just the best
way to pick talks ever.

But we did have an invited talk which I linked to above. Braden Thomas did
a TON of work cracking cable modems open and not in the boring way that
everyone else does (which qualifies as "Junk Hacking") where you find some
sort of buffer overflow or backdoor or worse, a CSRF issue that just so
happens to own the model of cable modem you just so happen to be using in
your house.

Instead, Braden looked at the DOCSIS protocol itself, and one of the things
I loved about it was how he went over the process from "They used DES" to
"Here's how you ACTUALLY economically brute for DES".

Anyways, it was a great talk. I hope he comes next year with something on
the 3.0 protocol, since everyone is switching over now. :) But if you
haven't seen it, click the link at the top of the email!!!

-dave