[Dailydave] FraudWorld vs. SpookWorld

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Sat Mar 28 09:10:44 EDT 2015

So much of security is driven by "fraud" and coming from a spook
background as many people on this list do, I find it annoying.
RSA-the-conference-and-meme is one of those markets that just baffles a
lot of people who come from the government space. How is any of that
stuff possibly worth so much money?

"Fraud" is partially the answer I think. Things that come from the fraud
world are as alien to spook-world as a giant ant-eater is to North
America. At some level defeating Fraud is about hygiene, more than
security. It's about valuing information in fungible units defined by
"Credit Cards" or "Users" and not by "importance".

But climates can change and we are at the cusp of that change. If you
look at how Google Wallet or ApplePay work, they have the major
advantage in that they already know what you want to buy before you buy
it, and they know where you are at all times, so fraud is going to get
exponentially more difficult. It may, in fact, become impossible.
Imagine if consumer Fraud went extinct? Is this harder to imagine than a
world without woolly mammoths?

Companies have learned this year from Sony Pictures that protecting
yourself against nation-states is the difference between surviving and
not surviving, and that doing so requires a completely different
corporate design than they're used to. FraudWorld has been invaded by
SpookWorld.

Good times! :) Of course, I can't end without saying that if you want to
see what the climate is going to look like, what the swamp creatures
about to invade tend to eat, then you have to come down to the
Everglades and see us at INFILTRATE.

-dave