[Dailydave] How to crush it.

Dave Aitel dave.aitel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 10:52:37 EST 2015

When I was a kid, while other people were being cool, I went to a camp
<http://cty.jhu.edu/> that taught you how to write. This turns out to be a
useful skill in a hacker, but not in the ways that people advocating
liberal arts assume they are, in that communicating with people is "an
important part of having a career".

I'm going to paste a few comments here from my favorite blog (fuckfeast.net),
because in the same way that we do book reviews on DD now, we're also going
to do blog reviews:

*Being in love and crushing desire are my favorite sensations. I eat them
like peaches, cold lust running down my face.*

*--*

*But the thing about intelligent men is that they’re exactly the same as
us. They’re high maintenance, they have ego problems, they demand a lot of
attention, they always have something to say. As a woman, sometimes I just
want sex, and sometimes I don’t want to have to deal with the social
rigmarole of highfalutin small talk. Sometimes I want someone who isn’t so
smart that he’s going to overthink having sex.*

*-- *

*He was confident. Confident enough to grab me when he first saw me and sit
me on his lap. His lips like twin snakes that hissed the most beautiful
words into my ear. Like a voodoo curse dripping into my brain, small bites
on my neck where I was infected with him.*

Every part of this blog is a lesson in how to write properly. The sort of
writing that's impossible to teach to an adolescent at a camp, or in
English class at any age. I think every writing class, from Beginning
Shakespeare on up should be fifteen minutes of a professor in front of the
class yelling "This chick in Oakland is more honest to the world than you
are to yourself! GET WITH THE PROGRAM." and then they hit you in the
forehead with a rubber band and send you out with a copy of whatever book
you're trying to study - not letting you come back into the classroom until
you have one bodily fluid or another on every page.

Exploits are the same as this. You can't write them as an academic. To
prove how smart you are? To make a couple bucks? Nonsense. You make them as
art. You make them to kill or to get laid or in any way that is a *frenzy. *