[Dailydave] Voluntary Cooperation

Dave Aitel dave.aitel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 14:06:08 EDT 2015

This document is a must read:
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2426450/read-the-nsc-draft-options-paper-on-strategic.pdf

This tiny telling snippet is from the option of "give the industry what
they want".
[image: Screenshot 2015-09-18 at 13.48.14.png]
And of course, from the option they are thinking about where they take a
softer position of "We are not AT THIS TIME going to legislate, but we want
you to backdoor your crypto, pretty please":
[image: Screenshot 2015-09-18 at 13.53.39.png]
There's so much in this document worth reading, but a good part of what is
not being said in this document is that the Government needs these Internet
companies to be "on team" for many important efforts that go far beyond
cryptography or lawful access.

Fighting the crypto war again is terrible counter-insurgency policy and
they are starting to realize that without voluntary cooperation you cannot
win on any level.

The same thing is true with the Wassenaar export control restrictions on
security software. Win some hearts and minds people, and you won't have to
save face later by walking your efforts back under heavy mortar fire!

-dave