[Dailydave] Fingerprint biometrics attack paper...

dave aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Tue Apr 12 15:32:29 EDT 2016

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.10.7168&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I want everyone to click on this paper and then maybe help explain it to
me! From what I understand they got a fingerprint reader to tell them
how hot/cold they were to an acceptable fingerprint. So they they modify
a fingerprint to get closer and closer until it matches.

DOES THAT EVER HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE? I'm so confused at what security
system gives you a "hot/cold" value so you can use this algorithm. Could
this paper be summed up to say in one sentence "Obviously if you give a
matching score from your biometric, you can use a model of that
biometric to retrieve the raw data with enough tries?"

-dave