[Dailydave] Relativity in Cyber War

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Thu Jan 21 14:48:18 EST 2016

I read all the things people in Think Tanks say about cyber war, and all
of them have a weird delusion about time. I think this may be one of the
distinguishing characteristics of the cyber domain - time is split
inside it the same way it is in a ship traveling at near the speed of
light. Things happen either very very fast, or very very slow, and they
connect at both ends in weird ways the way particle physics connects to
black holes.

For example, people think that to destroy a company you have to go all
Saudi Aramco or Sony Pictures Entertainment on them. If you talk to
Think Tank people or Academics they would say that only in tiny limited
glimpses  - explosions that light up the night sky like supernovae - can
you see True Cyber War. "What kinetic damage was caused?" they say,
meaning "Who died from this crap, you stupid hacker geek?".

But to destroy a company with cyber you don't make it bankrupt in a day.
You just make it slightly and consistently unprofitable over a long
enough time. This is a lot easier to do covertly with cyber than
anything else. A hacker team conducting cyber war against you is
Murphy's law writ large and angry against the night sky - until
eventually where jobs and infrastructure was, is just darkness.

-dave