[Dailydave] Relativity in Cyber War

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Sat Jan 23 12:11:35 EST 2016

 | But to destroy a company with cyber you don't make it bankrupt
 | in a day.  You just make it slightly and consistently unprofitable
 | over a long enough time. This is a lot easier to do covertly
 | cyber than anything else. A hacker team conducting cyber
 | war against you is Murphy's law writ large and angry against the
 | night sky - until eventually where jobs and infrastructure was,
 | is just darkness.

I'd suggest an attack that causes Excel to ever so slightly modify
its formulae, at random, intermittently, forever.  Soon enough, no
two copies of the same thing will actually be the same and no past
filings of record will be reproducible.  When discovered, everything
will have to be destroyed so as to start over.  Call it "hoof&mouth"
if you please.

--dan