[Dailydave] "Clickbait policy-making"

dave aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Thu Jul 28 18:01:22 EDT 2016

https://na-production.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/Bugs-in-the-System-Final.pdf

Look, I'm sure these (Andi Wilson, Ross Schulman, Kevin Bankston, Trey
Herr) are all good people:<image about authors went here>

But I want to point out that you cannot make good policy recommendations
based on clickbait news articles you've happened to have read over the
years on a subject that is under a ton of covert protection, especially
when none of you have any personal experience in the field (and even if
you DID!). If you want to, even a little bit, claim that the
vulnerability market poses the kind of danger this paper claims, then
you have to say exactly what percentage of this so called "stockpile"
gets used in the wild by our adversaries. And you have to say why you
think that percentage is too high. Without that data, you have
"unsupported opinions", or as Joe Biden would say, "malarkey". I'm not
even going to go into how "theoretical" their musings on market behavior
in this space are, because this whole policy paper is trash without any
data to back it up.

-dave

<another useful image went here>