[Dailydave] Hacking critical infrastructure.

Konrads Smelkovs konrads.smelkovs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:18:08 EDT 2016

If game theory is invoked, then it is worth discussing consequences
for transgressions against critical infrastructure. As Schenier once
said - if you want to make people obey a security policy, you need to
publicly fire someone, but there isn't anything as obvious in the
world of big country diplomacy. Works for smaller countries, e.g. I
was told that IDF would now and then fly close to beirut and take the
lights out of the lighthouse near Beirut to make a point about
unapproved activities, but I can't imagine US retaliating in kind -
e.g. ransomwaring a data historian at the three gorges dam.  I once
asked a NATO senior officer when will they send jets after hackers,
they said once [provable] loss of life happens, but even if some kid
in St Peterburg causes serious fireworks at some power distribution
station in Michigan, that any hardware will cross the Russian border.

Until there are consequences, writing rules makes no sense.
--
Konrads Smelkovs
Applied IT sorcery.