[Dailydave] AI

dave aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed Mar 30 08:56:45 EDT 2016

There are only a few real computers in the world, and I think we are
just beginning to feel their influence. For example, here is a sample
project I am working on now that image classification is a solved problem.

Like many of you on this list, I dabble in brazilian jiu jitsu. In fact,
in a week we are doing an open mat at INFILTRATE for both newcomers
who've always wanted to try to choke me out, to people in the community
who are already very good at choking people.

Like many sports, BJJ is typically scored according to a ruleset based
on the different positions you end up in. Being on top is usually
better. Being able to get on top after you are on the bottom is worth 2
points. Being able to completely mount someone is worth three points.
Getting on their back is four points. Generally a tournament will hire
judges and they will award points based on their understanding of the
rules and their personal feelings towards the contestants and whatever
other factors are floating in their heads.

What I'm working on is collecting a set of images of BJJ, then
annotating them as to what positions the different people are in. This
essentially maps every image into a vector space - and after training a
neural network using modern techniques you can have a program that looks
at an image and then outputs "Blue is in top mount".

Part of the key here is that you don't have to tell it that the picture
is BJJ. Every picture that program sees is two people doing BJJ. All it
has to do is output what positions they are in.

And in the end, by assigning point values to transitions between
positions, you will have an automatic BJJ judge. I've applied for a
TensorFlow API key from Google since although this is not a hard problem
by ML standards I want to do it the right way and get good scalable
results on video later.

And of course, the same thing is true for the process information El
Jefe <https://eljefe.immunityinc.com/> will give you. All those
"behavioral analysis machine learning intrusion detection" startups are
about to be crushed by simple open source projects that use Google and
MS and Amazon's exported Machine Learning APIs.

-dave