[Dailydave] Improvements

Jimmy D jimvictus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 16:55:09 EST 2017

That pressure isn’t just from the C-suite. Many of us have been burned (at least indirectly) by a tool author who either abandoned locally built tools or who tried to use their knowledge of one as as a form of blackmail in salary negotiations or promotions. Add to that the fact that I pay people to perform specific functions usually aligned with their core skills. I’ve generally had tremendous respect for my team members (else they’d be elsewhere) and no real love of vendors or “big names”, but I know that isn’t the case for everyone. Obviously, this is completely different for a team in an actual software company.

At the C level, I’ve also heard some pretty appalling stories of vendors (FireEye came up multiple times) threatening to alert regulators and media if a company has an incident and didn’t buy their product.

My point is that these issues are often less straightforward than they might appear and that you shouldn’t infer a lack of faith/love/respect when your execs don’t let you write enterprise tools.

P.S.: We used Hexadite at a former employer to eliminate the need for about 1.5 FTEs just by automating our process for responding to suspected phishing emails. Improved efficiency, 1/3 the cost, built-in metrics, 7x24x365 coverage, no real estate costs, and no HR complaints. There was much to be admired about that specific scenario for us. YMMV.

Jim