[Dailydave] It's dangerous to go alone: Crypto-Analysis

dave aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Mon Jan 9 13:50:49 EST 2017

<crypto class image>

So I've been writing a bit about the larger "War on Crypto" here:
https://cybersecpolitics.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-csis-paper-review-part-1.html

I know a lot of you hate reading policy stuff (and I'm not fond of how
much a part of my life it has become) but the CSIS paper had a "who's
who" of the policy world on it and is worth critiquing in a larger space
(here on this list, if you like). So much of the policy world right now
is buried under an avalanche of epiphanies on how cryptography connects
to information security.

But also, this morning the admin team took a few orders for our April
class on Cryptographic Analysis for Hackers, and so today I reread the
slides. It's one of the few Immunity classes I haven't taken myself and
I always like to see if I'm too far removed from day to day attacks to
understand them.

Just like we created Visualsploit
<https://immunityproducts.blogspot.com/2013/02/visualsploit-20.html>for
teaching people <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5ksusmPoM&t=2266s>
with no programming experience assembly language and how to write a
buffer overflow in three days, we use Sage to teach people what they
need from abstract algebra and crypt-analysis to get them to writing
cryptographic attacks, which is not to say we try to turn people into
cryptographers. It's just that many modern exploit attacks also involve
building a cloud computing network that solves for private keys on the
fly given a partial information leak. In a sense, the question we are
trying to answer is "How do I get root-shells with symbolic calculus?" I
mean, the future is unevenly distributed, but we, the class of people
for whom it is unacceptable to no longer have root-shells, have to
prepare somehow.

Anyways, you can still sign up here, although like all of the Master
class sections at INFILTRATE, it does sell out:
http://infiltratecon.com/training.html

<it's dangerous to go alone image here>