[Dailydave] Reliability

dave aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Tue Jan 17 09:52:24 EST 2017

There are so many angles on reliability in hacking. Because I wrote some
of the early CANVAS code that still, to my chagrin, is still in the
tree, occasionally I get pulled in to explain why some piece of CANVAS
works the way it does. In particular, one of our customers noticed some
forensics artifacts that were unacceptable. But while we were doing
that, the exploit team was pushing out local exploits this month for
Linux and Windows, the COW exploit and ms16_13 (now in CANVAS 7.12).

If you're in the CEU you have the source code for those, and you can see
the massive differences between them and the public exploits. Ideally
the work we did on the forensics artifacts this month will be invisible
to the user. But not getting caught in today's world is different from
the world when CANVAS was first built. Keeping an exploitation framework
"real" is an ongoing process and hopefully those of you who are
customers (which is a large part of this list) are noticing that work!

Anyways, every time someone says "The last 10% of the product is 90% of
the work" it applies double to hacking tools. :)

-dave