[Dailydave] Ants in your pants

Kyle Creyts kyle.creyts at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 17:41:01 UTC 2017

I think commodity malware have come much further than legitimate tools in
some regards, and are much further behind in others.

Notably, almost all commodity criminal implants have an specificity of
mission not commonly found in the group of attack frameworks you highlight.

The typical level of specificity is "I want to make money off this implant"
and one typical outcome of this ambiguity is having N ways to make money:
through credential theft, CC scraping, clickfraud, participation in DDoS,
etc.

Very rarely will these objectives require the implant to make decisions
about how to attempt to accomplish the objective, and almost never any sort
of "privileged" peer interaction.

Some focus has been given to improving the robustness and survivability of
the infrastructure and control channel, mostly in distribution of
command/config, and shipping "home" the money-making data.

Notably, these are areas where attack frameworks like those you listed have
made some progress. Not as much progress as some malware out there,
perhaps, but still progress; every category has stand-outs.

I think that one reason so much focus is given to the "lesser" algorithms
in designing capabilities and control protocols for remote agents is
ambiguity and flexibility of application. Ambiguity and flexibility of
application cause some people to think about simplifications to
interactivity; the first intuitive  solution appears to be building a tool
that provides some abstractions for local resources and runs whatever code
the control channel pushes it, and the easier you can make it to deliver
instructions to interact with or loot resources of the implanted hosts, the
better.

And so, most implants are designed with two control flows: a
preconceived/scripted mission, and a capability to loop, wait for
interactivity with a control channel, and process updates or extensions to
that mission or script. The notion of peering is just beginning to take
shape as distributed implant puppeteering improves, and having many
co-operating implants is becoming more commonplace.

But I think most of our tools are still pretty bad at describing different
kinds of mission in a decomposable way, where individual nodes can
understand their role in the mission and interact directly with peers to
execute complex missions.

We're getting better, certainly. Tools like Bloodhound that leverage
frameworks like Empire are a good example of encoding and communicating and
executing a mission... still very wheel-and-spoke, though. They could use
more hive-mind.

I'm not sure we have yet developed the semantics to have Siri help us here.
 "hey siri, tell implants at the target to work amongst themselves to exfil
the Crown Jewels that customer has requested" for arbitrary Crown Jewels.

It sounds quite challenging to encode.

The difficulty of sufficiently describing said jewels, writing code to
enumerate all possible paths to them, the resource complexity of reaching
them in execution... each seems very significant.

Doing it quietly, so that defenders never notice seems even harder.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop. It sounds like you're doing pretty cool
work over there.