[Dailydave] Keynotes

dave aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Mon Oct 16 16:27:43 UTC 2017

So I'm about to do V6 of my T2 keynote - usually it takes about 10 full
runs until a keynote is good. This is why we are very very careful about
asking people to do keynotes. They typical first run of a keynote gets
feedback like "This is terrible. Just terrible. Awful". (Except Halvar's).

In any case, I've sent out versions of it to lots of different people
for feedback and I've noticed a few things. Probably the most common
complaint about me as a CEO is that I don't share my strategy with the
company at large. I think maybe this is because strategy is insanely
hard to verbalize and structure in any domain, and cyber is twice as
hard as most. The talk has 10 minutes of policy bashing in it,
essentially a cliff notes of "Why the policy community as a whole is
broken and what the vulnerability classes are that they tend to have in
their thought processes" because policy impacts national strategy and
the cyber landscape, which impacts the technical direction you go as a
hacker, which in turn impacts policy if they were aware enough to know that.

When I send this talk to policy people, they are fine with the bashing.
In fact, it bores them. They know it all too well.

What policy people want, universally, is MORE STRUCTURE in the talk. For
some reason this is fascinating to me, because as a whole, if you have
to define hackers, who are really the target market of the talk, it is
"Those who are OK with less structure, despite being basically autistic".

-dave

(P.S. If you have not reviewed any previous versions and want to review
V6, let me know!:)