[Dailydave] Cymothoa Exigua

Dave Aitel dave.aitel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 17:09:08 UTC 2018

The world is full of horrors, and one of those is Cymothoa Exigua
<https://www.google.com/search?q=fish+tongue+parasite&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4vtLso4PdAhUGq1kKHen0D9oQ_AUICigB&biw=1440&bih=809>.
Another one of those, is groups of people who think they, somehow, have
cracked the code to developing technology in an "ethical" way, and if you
just obeyed them, everything would be better.

This is as odious when it comes from the FBI director as when it comes from
the EFF. Yesterday, for example, Stanford published a blogpost
<https://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/blog/2018/08/crypto-2018-%E2%80%9Cmiddle-ground%E2%80%9D-proposals-going-dark-fix>
about
some people's presentation on cryptographic backdoors and the EFF's
comments on it:
[image: image.png]
I was not there for the presentations, but I do not think Matt Tait is
"Letting himself be played" by the government or otherwise. I also think
it's *highly inappropriate* for Cindy Cohn of the EFF to tell Matt Tait
what his job is or is not.

You see similar attempts from lawyers who have self-assigned themselves as
the arbiter of what is morally good and evil when it comes to AI or Machine
Learning or 0day or any number of things. . .I never take these people
seriously myself, but it's sometimes worth pointing out how weird it is.

-dave