[Dailydave] Longer form questions

Andre Gironda andre at operations.net
Fri Sep 6 21:18:13 UTC 2019

Daemonlogger + Zeek Intelligence Framework for sightings. Doesn't need TLS
secrets. Doesn't need high availability or to run inline. The sensors tell
you what they see and where and when they saw it. No need to block. No need
to "detect". No signatures at all (just a living watchlist). No AI/ML. No
modification of traffic. No huge concern if an APT, skiddie, or admin
crashes it (it's receive-only on the Daemonlogger interfaces, right?). You
don't even need to save any pcap or flow/sess data or metadata!

For SMTP/ESMTP/Submission services try emailrelay.sf.net and run Yara
across the headers. ReversingLabs and some trustgroups maintain/share rules
especially checking rfc2822 content-type and message-id.

NSM, NIDS, NIPS, NFA, and Network Forensics are dead but Sighting and
Gating concepts are not.

For cloud, there's always Prisma Cloud and/or CRFT.app. For containers:
eBPF, Sysdig, Capsule8, et al.