[Dailydave] Neal Stephenson, the EFF and Exploit Sales

Bas Alberts bas.alberts at immunityinc.com
Tue Aug 14 12:15:55 EDT 2012

First of all, I love it when Ben Nagy writes. All aboard the Nagy-logic mantrain
I say, choo choo.

Second of all, I think it is hilarious how "cyber" has moved from tentatively
ironic use into standard industry lingo. I'm not sure tentatively ironic means
what I think it means, but whatever.

I think the piece of the puzzle that people like the EFF, and other
supposed privacy advocates lack is an actual understanding of the subject matter
they're protesting.

To me it seems like what the EFF is doing is putting a veil of moral ambiguity
on top of the commoditization of software flaws. They are trying to distinguish
between good and evil. Whenever people try to quantify right and wrong you
end up with preachy zealotism that results in little more than finger pointing
and name calling. Case in point: Chris Soghoian. His twitter feed is a painful
example of what happens when morality meets misunderstanding and hyperbole.

It's very much human nature to declare something "of the devil" when you do
not fully understand it. It is the same kind of knee-jerk reactionism that
ended up with crusty hippie chicks burning at the stake in Salem.

At the end of the day this discussion seemingly boils down to the old antisec
freedom versus security debate. And by antisec I mean of the 1992AD variety.

Perfect security and absolute freedom are mutually exclusive. A perfectly secure
Internet implies an inherently controlled Internet. Think about it.

I would go as far as to say that 0day ownership promotes freedom for the individual,
regardless of who is selling or buying it. That's coincidental. It is one of the
few areas where a sufficiently motivated individual or group of individuals can
find, exploit, and develop an offensive capability that rivals that of a nation
state. It represents a right to bear arms (RAWR!) on the Electronic Frontier(tm).

This quest for a state of perfect security by an organization that supposedly
promotes a free and open Internet baffles me. Especially considering the EFF has
very much focused on offensive research themselves (DeepCrack anyone?) in the
past.

Improving security does not promote freedom for the individual. Unpublished
vulnerabilities are a constant regardless of which ones you choose to remove from
the pool. Invididual security comes from impact containment, not patching bugs.

And even after all that, you still do not write your own software and you still
install your operating systems and tools based on nothing but blind trust.

Government A, B, or C having purchased a vulnerability for software X, Y, Z
does not make you any less secure. You installing software X, Y, Z made you
less secure. The individual needs to make the informed assumption that anything
they operate on and use will and has been compromised. If that makes you
uncomfortable, oh well. Deal with it. Accept the facts and compartmentalize
accordingly. If that is too much work, so be it, but at least you made a
conscious choice and weighed your options.

Peace of mind is a game of context.

Personally I think vulnerabilities do less damage in their unpublished format
whilst at the same time maintaining the option of freedom for the motivated
individual who is willing to do the work.

Now I hesitate to follow into the postulate that nation state sponsored
hacking prevents physical conflict and warfare.

Obviously at some point someone is ending up on the opposite side of a barrel
somewhere if things escalate sufficiently enough regardless of how much you've
reduced the yield on whoever's nuclear centrifuges. I would have to assume
that these things are just part of larger operations and are more a question
of efficiency than they are of not getting people killed.

I do however think people are barking up a tree that was planted long before
they knew it existed or cared that it existed. Vulnerabilities and exploits
have always been a commodity ... a commodity of ego, humor and yes *gasp* money.
Exploit developers on both sides of the fence have been commoditizing exploits
for close to 2 decades, if not longer. They've been commoditized as marketing
tools, network tools, performance art, weapons, and political statements ...
regardless of whether they were private or public and regardless of who was
using them.

I don't know if that is right or wrong, nor do I particularly care. I suppose
that makes me morally bankrupt by some standards. But I'm about as worried about
getting hacked by a nation state as I am about getting run over by public transit.

If someone wants to reach out and touch you, they will. Your shiny macbook just
offers some more convenient and efficient ways to do so.

Love,
Bas