[Dailydave] Clarifying the record from EFF

Jason Crawford jason at purebsd.net
Thu Aug 30 17:23:42 EDT 2012

On 08/30/2012 04:50 PM, Justin Ferguson wrote:
> Firstly and most importantly, to me, your right to own, possess and sell
> exploits is pretty clearly protected under the 2nd amendment. I'd argue
> for that legitimacy in the same way I would your right to do the same
> with a firearm. I do however take contention with what the actual
> circumstances are though, a market where you can only sell firearms to
> your respective governments instead of an actual open and free market.

I don't normally post on these, but saying that exploits should be
regulated under the second amendment is kind of scary. Look at all the
regulations we have for possession and carrying of firearms. Do we want
to say that anyone who's in possession of illegal drugs would now do
serious hard time in a federal prison if they have exploits too? As
possessing a gun while using or possessing illegal drugs would land you
in prison. Maybe states like California that greatly restrict what kind
of firearms you can have and buy will basically chase all hackers out
now. Or in New York where owning a machine-gun is a felony, owning
CANVAS would be now too, as that's 'automatic' exploiting (greater than
one exploit fired off with a single mouse click). At one point
California was trying to pass legislation that would only let you
procure 50 bullets a month, shall we only allow people to procure 50
payloads a month? Oh, lets make sure people can only buy exploits from
federal exploit licensed dealers (except in some states that allow
private purchases maybe) and your name is now on their list that the
government can recall at any time. And of course, if you are a
registered dealer of exploits, that means the ATF can now enter your
home any time they want, and you can't stop them, since that's what they
can do with FFL's. Which also means any time you get exploits over the
internet, it must go to a federal exploit licensed dealer in your state
for them to run a background check on you. I'm sorry but regulating
exploits under the second amendment is the WRONG thing to do here.