[Dailydave] The Threshold of Hackiness

Martín ole at makensi.es
Sat Dec 29 15:10:48 EST 2012

Hi all,

Found myself looking at a recent discussion about the potential monopoly
tech–wise that metasploit may be creating when talking about exploit
development.[1]

In his first reply HD leaves a rather interesting related piece:

"[...]
Finally - hacking is not exploit development. You can be a great exploit
developer and still be a terrible hacker, as well as the inverse. If you
want to learn to hack, understand your tools, take them apart, tweak them,
and generally grok why they do they do. If you have development skills,
make them better, and if you aren't a selfish bastard, share them with the
rest of the security community under an open source license =)
"

I can agree to some extent, but I find difficult to set the threshold of
cluelessness one can accept from a supposedly "good hacker".

Thoughts on this?

[1]
http://amplicate.com/hate/metasploit/8241463-it-is-trying-to-monopolize-the-exploit-market-it/