[Dailydave] The BlackHat Post

Dave Aitel dave at immunityinc.com
Wed Jul 18 12:26:23 EDT 2012

Everyone has one, and if you want to see me read this one outloud, you
can check out lovely FOX NEWS ONLINE tomorrow at 2pm. The "tip of the
week" will be (ironically) to install an ad blocker.  That means the
*hacker* tip of the week is to own the guy who makes ad-block plus.

I expected to be underwhelmed by the talk list, because I'm old and
cynical like that, but they look fairly offensively focused and there
aren't TOO many talks where you know the whole talk from the title and
abstract.

I like to divide talks into three categories:
Ways to hack new stuff (NFC, Windows 8, the latest iOS, google native
client).
Ways to hack stuff you never heard of (hotel door technologies, air
traffic control data, 3g microcells)
Ways to hack things that have real market share already. (Heap
overflows, AMF, Web Application Firewalls, .Net and Flash Sandbox attacks)

You could develop a plan to go see talks that are extra cutting edge, or
that you already know something about to figure out what the state of
the art is, but imho, your best bet is to just wander into a talk at
random. And because the conference is so big that by the time you get to
any particular talk, it'll be over, that's what most people end up doing
anyways.

Also, there will a Pwnie awards and it will be funny (Dino promised).

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach